Monday, December 23, 2013

Duck Confit!

Duck Confit in the making!
As I previously mentioned, we processed our ducks back in October.  We've eaten some of the duck meat, but still have a good amount left.

One of the things I REALLY wanted to try was to confit some of the meat.  I haven't had any, but other people who have rave about it.  You basically cure meat in fat, which results in incredibly tender and rich meat.  It's usually used in small amounts, like in a salad or something.

But..... it seemed really complicated.  And like it would use up A LOT of my precious lard (I sauté everything using lard).

Then this week I saw a wonderful article on the blog "Hunter Angler Gardener Cook" about how to confit using just a few tablespoons of fat, and it made the whole process seem much more doable!

You basically brine the meat, then seal the meat and fat into a vacuum-sealed bag.  Then the bag(s) are poached for 4 - 8 hours.

I'm doing this with my last 9 duck breasts, and I can't wait to try it!!!

1 comment: