According to a National Geographic article, beavers can stay underwater for 15 minutes without surfacing.
Here are a few other fun facts about beavers:
- An adult beaver can weigh between 30 and 70 pounds(!)
- Beavers are nocturnal creatures and they work at night.
- Beavers are monogamous.
- Beavers move slow on land but are good swimmers and can swim up to 5 mph.
- Prior to European immigration there were over 60 million beavers in North American.
- Beavers do not hibernate and lodges need to be built in deep enough water so the entrance does not freeze in the winter.