Monday, July 15, 2013

AUGH! Pickle Mishap

So far every jar I've canned this year has been either a pint or a half-pint size.  It's just Jack and I, and when you're feeding just 2 people you don't need too much for any one serving.  Also we've been trying out recipes to see which we like, and I don't want to make too much of something just to find out we don't like it.

However, that all changed today!  I used quart jars to make a bigger batch of garlic dill pickles since they are quickly becoming one of our favorite snacks to have on hand.  

I made 6 quarts of the pickles and popped them into the water bath to can for 10 minutes, and when the 10 minutes were up I pulled away the cover on my large pot to find.... cucumbers floating in the boiling water!?  

As it turns out on of the Mason jars broke during the water bath process.  Awwwww...  All those potential cucumbers, wasted!

I've been getting my jars from friends, neighbors, and family members in order to lower the cost of getting into heavy canning production.  New jars are the largest start-up cost and I've managed to get all mine for free, but this may be a consequence of that.  Who knows what these jars have been put through in their past.  
Sigh...  At least I still have 5 lovely quart jars of pickles to add to our pickle stash.  Below I've included the recipe I've been using from Serious Eats.

YIELD: 4 pint jars or 2 quart jars 

2 quart kirby cucumbers (approximately 3 pounds) 
1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar 
1 1/2 cups filtered water 
2 tablespoons pickling salt  
8 garlic cloves, peeled (I always use extra)
4 teaspoons dill seed (I've been using fresh dill flower heads since I'm growing my own)
2 teaspoons black peppercorns 

Prepare your jars.  Wash and dry the cucumbers, and remove blossom end. Combine vinegar, water and salt in sauce pan and bring to a boil.  Equally divide garlic cloves, dill, and black peppercorns between jars. Pack prepared cucumbers into jars as tightly as you can without crushing them.  Pour the brine into the jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.  Wipe rims and apply lids and bands (don't screw them on too tightly).  Process in a water bath for 10 minutes.  Let pickles rest for at least one week before eating. [See full recipe for more in-depth instructions]

1 comment:

  1. Ya, I need to bring you some more jars. These pickles sound nom-tastic!

    ReplyDelete